June 21, 2004

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

I do wonder occasionally, especially when I'm trying to remember to forget somethings, what would life be if a part of your past can be and is wiped off.

HK serials love to have a pretty female lead suffering from some kind of amnesia just before she's supposed to get married to the love of her life, or something along that line. And then, the poor man being left on the shelf had to try means and ways to bring back her memory so that we can all shed a few tears and they can live happily everafter (at least until the last episode).

Actually, I'm not really thinking of wanting to be amnesia or erase a part of my past or memories of someone (as in the movie). Aside from the fact that it's almost impossible, I think it's an escapist way of not wanting to face your regrets and an irresponsible way to face the consequences of your own decisions.

But, let's just say, IF one day I shall be so unlucky as to stand right under a falling brick (hey! that's what always happen lah... on TV), and lose a vital part of my memory, maybe of someone, would it really be better to try to make me remember again?

Start life anew, turn over a new leaf... literally, I would be able to do that. With no history of myself, no knowledge of my own past, wouldn't life have a chance to be rebooted and perhaps, upgraded?

If I were my family or friends (actually, i trust there're only very few that would be able to help me recall things that would trigger my memory), would I be doing myself a favour by helping me remember or would I just let it be? There is a truth in saying ignorance is bliss, after all.

How about you? If you had a chance to have an eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, would you embrace that?

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 23:35